December 13, 2007

What Comics Do You Read?

What comic series are you currently reading? Here are the ones I pick up on a regular basis. The ratings are based on a 10-point scale. The first rating, the one before the slash, is what I thought of the comic series when it started. The second rating after the slash is what I think of the latest issue or two.

  • The Astounding Wolf-Man (8/7)
  • Punisher: War Journal (9/7)
  • Nova (8/10)
  • New Warriors (7/6)
  • Thunderbolts (10/9)
  • Avengers: The Initiative (8/8)
  • Marvel Comics Presents (8/8)
  • The Order (6/7)
  • Welcome to Tranquility (9/3)
I know they're all mainstream comics, but I haven't found anything else really good lately. Zombies vs. Robots vs. Amazons came out, but I noticed that there's going to be a collected volume sometime next year.

Besides, I'm finding a lot of "mainstream" comics that don't follow the "big events" as closely. I'm tired of Civil War, Planet Hulk, 52, etc. I just like reading about superheroes, for the most part.

That's the thing: for the most part, I don't want to read a comic about regular people. I feel like books are better with that sort of thing. I like comics about superheroes only when it's an important story, not just something for the sake of action and explosions.

Notice the bad score for Welcome to Tranquility. The series started out SO great. It was about a town that was sort of a retirement community for superheroes, and there was a new generation coming in and throwing things all out of whack. It's comedic at first glance, but there's a lot of emotion built into it. The funniest thing I think in the series so far is this one Shazam-type ripoff character who says a magic word to get his superpowers, but he's old and can't remember the word, so he goes around reading dictionaries for the first 4 issues!

But, yeah, the series has gotten really old and tiresome, so we'll have to see. I'm on the verge of not reading it anymore.

No comments: